• raffavets

27 October 2019 v Manchester City Vets at St Georges Park

The second game of the double header. With our bottoms spanked yesterday the management were looking for a response from the lads. Up against us were a new side to our fixture list and with an almost fully fresh side ourselves, a response was expected.RAF kick off and from the first attack of the game, Seddon is there to stroke the ball home and its 1-0 RAF. Now those that know me, know that I normally go missing just before kick off but am usually back in time for the start. Once however, I did miss a goal in the first minute but this time I did see it. It was just as well I didn’t go anywhere though as just a few minutes later, a sublime ball from Dixon found Stockport whose cross was missed by O’Hagan at the near post but “sniffer” Seddon slotted home at the far post and it’s now 2-0 RAF with just six minutes on the clock. That was only the preamble as, in the 8th minute the RAF were 3-0 up and Seddon had his hatrick!!Some nice passing before Dixon drove forward and fed the ball to Seddon who drew the keeper before slotting home. 3-0 RAF. Things then settled down for the next 8 minutes before Hollis somehow managed to balloon over from no more than 2 yards after Dixon and Stockport combined to set him up. He almost atoned with a shot a couple of minutes later but it was well saved by the keeper. In the 20th minute the RAF were awarded a penalty when Stockport was brought down and he stepped up to take it himself. He sent the keeper the wrong way and it’s 4-0 RAF. Well, a response was asked for and what a response we were getting. Great pass and move football, and power and pace when in the opposition half...exactly what was asked for. In the 27th minute, City did get a chance on goal but Potter in the RAF goal stood his ground and forced the City striker into shooting early and wide. The fifth goal was a joy to watch. Some lovely possession football with the ball being stroked right to left and back again before the ball found Pugh out on the right and his cross was nodded in by a stooping O’Hagan. 5-0 RAF in the 33rd minute. Hollis was subbed with a niggling injury and was replaced by Wanless before Seddon reverted to type and smashed one against the crossbar. I think his record is 5 crossbar hits in one game!! Seddon then thought that he did have his fourth with a great header but the linesmans flag was up and the goal was not given. Dixon was unlucky too when a cross come shot rebounded off the post and was cleared before Stockport had a goal chalked off for offside. This was great stuff from the boys in blue and it was one way traffic as they chased and harried the City boys when not in possession and were calm and penetrative when they had the ball however, the score stayed the same way to the whistle. HT RAF 5-0 Man City.Just keep doing what you are doing was the message at half time...it would actually be hard to improve on that anyways!!The RAF started the second half as they finished the first and a Dixon free kick was saved by the keeper. City did look a stronger side defensively in the second half though but were up against a well disciplined RAF team who continued to probe. The RAF had a lapse though when in the 60th minute, Potter, was called on to make his first actual save, and a good one it was too. That lapse didn’t last long however as the RAF came forward again in the 65th minute. A good interchange of passing saw them go from one end of the pitch to the other before Wanless shot. The ball was not hit well, nor powerfully but Bartley opened his legs and stepped over it which totally bemused the keeper and the ball ended in the net. 6-0 and a goal for Wanless. A few minutes later the RAF won a free kick. Martin swung it in and straight onto the head of O’Hagan who made no mistake and it’s 7-0 RAF. There was some exhibition stuff being played out there now but fair play to the City boys, they stuck to their task despite being up against a far superior side on the day. That superiority was enhanced late on with an eigth goal and a second from Wanless. A superb chip over the keeper looked as if it was going in but it came back off the post. Wanless reacted and got a shot away that the keeper, who had got up quickly, managed to get his body to but it flew off him onto the opposite post and in. 8-0 RAF and that’s how it remained.A tremendous performance, terrific response and a gauntlet thrown down to future opponents and our own squads...we earnt the right to win the game and kept playing for 90 minutes!!

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All